Saturday, March 23, 2013

Interactivity #3: Generating a State of the Art Inventory


The group process required for this interactivity could be challenging at times. It is hard to work and collaborate with people you have never met in person before. However, through the use of technology it was possible to work together. Each person brought something new and unique to our inventory. Although we did not separate the spreadsheet by content area, I feel like some of the sites/technological programs can go across curriculum and subject matter. For example Katherine, a fine arts education major, suggested the website Flash Card Machine. I have never heard of this website before, but looking at I feel like I can, or my students can, utilize this technology for studying. The best thing about this assignment was being introduced to new technologies, I may not have encountered before, and learning from the members in my group.  
It is also interesting to see how the educational sequence courses are all connected. The things I am learning in one class may have been discussed or relevant to the other. In READ 411, Language and Literacy Across the Curriculum, we have just went over using technology to assist students in their comprehension levels. An example of this could be using the Internet to define a term or concept that you are not familiar with. To do this, you could use a variety of techniques for the “Stages of Pedagogical Development” found in Professor Domine’s book (and also how we organized our spreadsheet). In Assesment of Learning (CURR 314), both students and teachers can benefit from the inventory we have done. Through technology, assessments can be found and provide help facilitate learning. An example is finding quizzes to test the students’ knowledge of a subject. In both classes, technology can be used as a tool in assisting both the students and teacher.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is hard to work together with a big group of people that you do not know. The technology is what made this possible. Because we could easily share this spreadsheet without having to constantly email it to each other. I also learned about other technologies that I never would have thought to use in my content area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the contributions we all made showed me new technologies I could use, but also showed me that technologies I already know of can be used for education that I never thought could be. Like for example, someone added FaceBook to the inventory, which is something I never really connected with education before.

    ReplyDelete