Monday, April 1, 2013

Portable Devices and Education: IPad

                                                                                        
In Domine’s chapter “Pedagogical Stages” she introduces the use of portable devices as a classroom tool. This technology is presented in her first stage of pedagogy under content management. However this technology can be applied to other stages as well. Portable devices, according to Domine are known for their, "mobility and portability of information" (Domine, 73). "Documents and information can be easily transmitted through the Internet and found on portable devices. According to Domine, with any type of portable device, “students can easily access, download, and transport primary source documents, photographs, film records, newspaper archives, and even advice from experts” (Domine,61). Through my experience with schooling I have always felt going to the more “traditional” way with a notebook, textbook, pen and paper. However, I see more people using portable devices in the classroom than ever before. Interestingly, Domine writes, “student exposure to and interaction with the new mobile technologies can increase students’ information management skills” (Domine, 61). One of the most recent things I have seen students in my classes doing is using an IPad. 


When IPads first came out I thought to myself, “Why is this necessary? I already have a laptop!” Now that I see students using them I have a different oppinion. I think one of the great things the IPad can do is accessing internet documents, like PDFs, for class. It is no longer necessary to print over thirty pages for one class, when it can be easily accessed on a portable device. Unlike laptops, the IPad is a lot lighter and easier to transport. They can access internet in an instant, and can be utilized in a number of ways. There are also many educational applications offered on the IPad. The IPad can also serve as an organizer as it offers applications like Calendar. IPads can also be less money than a laptop, but they do have their limitations. Many people see IPads for entertainment, but can be a strong educational tool when utilized inside and outside of the classroom. I think I would like to see students utilize them more and I am not sure how much it would cost if a school was to provide them. I guess one thing to worry about would be the technology being replaced by something better, like a new IPad or other portable device.

1 comment:

  1. As much as teleworking is highly touted, the reality is that it has truly not replaced face to face networking and as such, business travel is far from over. And tablets can be a boon to weary business travelers, by providing innumerable services. From itinerary planning to flight and hotel bookings, to flight tracking, check-in and boarding pass creation, tablets are useful in all three phases of travel (pre, present and return).
    VPN iPad

    ReplyDelete