Thursday, April 11, 2013

PowerPoints and Lecturing

"Picture a half-full classroom with nearly-comatose students descending into the slow death that takes place while listening to a lecture that is as interesting as the buzzing of a mosquito that one cannot find in order to squash"


I think we have all had that one teacher where you can barely make it through class without falling asleep or watching the clock, felling like it will never end.


When in college, I have gotten used to using PowerPoint for assignments that I need to present to a class. I often worry how these presentations go. I ask myself, "Is anyone going to pay attention to my project/lesson?"  TechLearning has been a very useful resource to help me come up with ideas and learn things about using technology in the classroom. The article I am focusing on in this blog is 10 Do's and Don'ts to using PowerPoints to deliver lectures that don't suck.The article suggests ways to make a lesson using PowerPoint more engaging for the students. Some of the ideas include using a powerful image, "that evoke an emotional response". Another is to carefully remember the audience, this can be done though engaging the audience in conversation and making eye contact. Ask questions that provoke thinking, like we are learning in CURR 314, to create questions that require critical thinking. Being prepared is also a good idea, it easy for an audience to notice how well you have practiced or ready to pass on information. The article suggests videoing yourself to see how you have done and what you need to work on. Do your presentation as if you were telling a story; this makes the lesson flow.
          
 The article also conveys interesting tips to watch out for when making a PowerPoint for class. It is important to make sure your slides are not too wordy. The article notes that if you make this mistake, “this is boring and causes listeners to tune out”. Another tip is to avoid speaking in a monotone voice or only deliver facts, this can also lead to disinterest in the lesson. Do not read directly off the slide. The article also states, “Your job is not just to impart information, but to directly inspire”. Most importantly, know your material!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, powerpoint presentations can certainly put a class to sleep. I find that it is important to make sure that you do not put too much information on your slides. If you just add your main ideas to the slides and then expand on each one it is less overwhelming for the viewer. Also, you are right in saying that preparation is very important. Practicing your presentation before hand can make a difference in your comfort level and the overall outcome of your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a really useful resource. I know when I have to watch another people in my classes do powerpoints, a lot of them make the mistake of using complete sentences and even paragraphs on their slides. It automatically makes the viewer get bored when they see so many words up on screen, there's no way anyone wants to read all that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paige,
      I think that this is a really informative and useful post. I too did a post on powerpoint bringing up some similar issues. Powerpoint is a really wonderful tool if used correctly. However, too often I think that we depend upon it too heavily and fall into the trap of simply reading off the screen. Nothing causes me to stop paying attention to a presenter faster than if he/she is speaking in a monotone voice and reading off slides. I think that as future teachers, being prepared is the best thing we can do. From experience, I know that even if the PowerPoint had all of the information I need to present, if I have not practiced or prepared, my presentation is usually boring and unsuccessful in commincationg my ideas.

      Delete